The institute's academic services support the professional activities of various stakeholders in the field of adult and continuing education. The Infrastructure Sector provides relevant know-how and practical information.
Products and services are developed in two departements, which have been the foundation in the field for decades and are characteristic for the DIE e.g. survey and evaluation of continuing education statistics, library, publications, ProfilPASS and recently the portal wb-web. In alliance with the image of a Leibniz Centre, these services are closely connected to research, i.e. by being based on the institute's or other stakeholders' research findings or by enabling or supporting research. The institute's first service keyword is "knowledge transfer", the second "research infrastructure". The two departments follow this functional logic.
Department Knowledge Transfer
The department Knowledge Transfer completes control tasks and projects to disseminate academic knowledge in the field of adult and continuing education and make it relevant for application and activities. Our services enable stakeholders in adult and continuing education to use research-based knowledge. At the DIE, knowledge transfer is based on a multi-dimensional understanding, which includes the transfer of knowledge in and through practice back to science,
The tasks are divided among teams with precise product references:
- Team Publications is editor of DIE publication series and magazines. They prepare continuing educational topics under journalistic aspects, depelop target-group oriented and modern formats and coordinate authors among DIE external and internal experts. Institutional publications contribute to research communication as well as the transfer from science to practice and qualifactions. DIE publications enhance the development and dissemination of Open Access models.
- The team Portal for Continuing Educators provides information an professionalization for trainers, lecturers, programme instructors and teamer in all partial fields of adult and continuing education, particularly the portal wb-web. The team is involved in current development projects of acknowledgement processes for teachers' competences (e.g. project GRETA), processes the issue GRETA, and develops an online learning environment for teachers (project OWL).
- ProfilPASS is a well-knowns tool for assessing and processing informally and non-formally acquired competences. It is target-group oriented and aimed at people in personal or professional transition situations. Team ProfilPASS provides academic quality, advances and disseminates the tool nationally and internationally. In addition, it is responsible for the support network's structure and qualification, which consists of ProfilPASS counsellors, multipliers and dialogue centres.
People with various competences and qualifications are employed in the department Knowledge Transfer - educational researchers, specialist editors, proofreaders, social media managers, media specialists, psychologists, etc.
Dr. Peter Brand
Department Research Infrastructure
The department Research Infrastructure combines successful DIE services such Adult Education Centre and Network Statistics, adult education centre programmes and DIE library. Research data complete these services. The survey, provision, presentation and dissemination of data and metadata as well as the provision of literature enable research in adult and continuing education. With its research infrastructure, the DIE supports the academic processing of research issues inside and outside the institute and meets the demands of the DIE Open Access policy. All services are available to stakeholdes in continuing education practice and politics.
The department is made up of two teams.
- Team Statistics collects provider data on public continuing education and contributes to the coverage of German continuing education. Permanent cooperation with associations are the basis for statistics on continuing education at adult education centres and part of the segments of denominational, union and poltical adult education. Data sets on institutional characteristics, staff, finances, events and participation are available for research purposes. A counselling and evaluation service covers requests by cooperation partners as well as stakeholders from science, politics and practice.
- Team Library is responsible for exploring, gathering, evaluating, and providing the basis for research in continuing education. This basis included analogue and digital literature, source material , research data as well as describing metadata. The team is responsible for
The department Research Infrastructure employs people with various professional backgrounds e.g. information, social and education scientists, mathematicians, computer scientists, data analysts, statisticians, librarians as well as media and indormation services specialists.
PD Dr. Markus Huff